Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Loving God - Doing His Will in Humility

I cannot love God as God, if God is the means for loving myself.

“I want to help out. It will be good for me to get out and do something.”
“I have a much better self-image since I started doing my Bible study regularly.”
“Being a Sunday school teacher is so satisfying. It makes me feel good about myself.”

Each one of these statements sounds so good.  But if you break them down, who is at the center of each? I’d venture to say it would be “me.”

My friend, Joe, gave me the quote at the top of the page and I’ve been trying to put it into my own words for a long time.

If I worked in Jesus’ vineyard, if I walked along the way
down rows named deeds and mercy
helping others without pay,
if a smile was fixed upon my face, contentment in my stride
because the work I’m doing
gives me such joy and pride.

Then I'd ask myself the reason that I do the things I do.
Am I walking down those avenues
for God, or me or you? 
Am I working for His kingdom or to raise my own flag high? 
Oh God, please take the “me” away.
Let self within me die.

Let me work here in Your vineyard
Let me serve You from the start.
Help me be a help to others. Let me do my little part. 
Help me focus on Your kingdom and then push the “me” aside
and I will have contentment. 
Humility will be my guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment