Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Attitude

Last Sunday our minister spoke about “Attitude.” He said a good many things that hit home, but the one that convicted me the most was that our attitude reflects or reveals us. It reveals what is in our hearts.
 
My attitude shows whether my heart is full of love, or of self-centeredness and pride. The way I react to situations, to people, reveals who I’m putting first.

Am I truly happy at another person’s good fortune, or do I filter it through my own wishes and desires? Do I react with understanding and patience when people inconvenience or hurt me, or do I filter that through my own self-centeredness?

Do I look in the mirror under a rose colored light? There are some rooms that are illuminated by pinkish tinted light bulbs. When you look in a mirror in those rooms, you tend to look prettier and younger. But my light bulbs at home are bright white. In them I’m able to see every wrinkle and bump. I prefer the pink ones, but if I want to really see what’s there, I need to subject my face to the bright light.

My attitude is the mirror, and the Bible is the bright light. When I look at my attitude mirror with the light of God’s Word, I find out just how close I am to having an attitude like that of Christ.

In Romans 15:5 and 6, we read

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The pink light is pleasent, but the bright one is best.


No comments:

Post a Comment