Saturday, April 4, 2020

In The Garden - They Missed so Much


They walked in the garden together.  The day was winding down.  Night was closing in, and they were tired.  But Jesus asked his friends to wait where they were while He went ahead to spend some time talking to his Father.  He didn’t just ask them to wait, but to pray while they were waiting.

He said to them, "Watch and pray this night with me.”

Do you think they wondered why?

And as He walked the path ahead
they settled down,
relaxed a bit,
and slept,
while His heart bled.

"My father" Jesus cried " Please take this cup away. 
I'm so sad because I know the price I’ll have to pay.
But, my Father, God, you know, though I hurt so much inside,
it is only by your will I want to now abide."

After a while He rose and went back to the disciples.

And when He found his friends asleep
the hurt in His voice should have cut them deep.
"Couldn't you watch and pray one hour? Didn't your flesh have a little power?"
"Please watch and pray", again He said, and walked a little way ahead.

Again, He fell before the King.
He grieved – His heart was shattering.
He prayed and sweat with drops like blood.
He prayed to the ever-loving God.

He said, "Not my will be done, but thine."
And His friends slept on in this darkest time.
                                              
They missed so much.  They had no idea what Jesus suffered for them.

We will miss much as well if we don't listen to what Jesus suffered, even in the garden, for us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment